- Constipation is passing motion(stools) less than three times a week.
- Severe constipation is passing motion less than one time a week.
- In India people have the habit of passing stools daily in the morning,if they don't pass stools,they feel like they are constipated. If you have irregular stools but no discomfort then you need not worry.
- if you have hard stools, difficulty in passing stools (straining),a sense of incomplete emptying or distension of abdomen then you should take care. Going without a bowel movement for two or three days does not cause physical discomfort, Only mental distress for some people. Contrary to popular belief, there is no evidence that "toxins" accumulate when bowel movements are infrequent or that constipation leads to cancer.
- The number of bowel movements generally decreases with age. The most common pattern is one bowel movement a day, but this pattern is seen in less than 50% of people. Constipation also can alternate with diarrhea. This pattern commonly occurs as part of the irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Not enough fiber in the diet
- Lack of physical activity (especially in the elderly)
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Changes in life or routine such as pregnancy,ageing, and travel
- Abuse of laxatives
- Ignoring the urge to have a bowel movement
- Specific diseases or conditions, such as stroke (most common)
- Problems with the colon and rectum
Constipation can be the only symptom or it may be one of the symptoms of a disease.We tryto find out the cause of the constipation before we start treatment.We also take into consideration whether it has started recently or whether it has been going on for a while. We have very good treatment for all types of constipation. If constipation is left untreated it can lead to piles and fissures. Our homeopathic treatment does not involve giving laxatives to bring immediate bowel moments. We give medicnies which permanently cure constipation over a period of time.